Applications for admission must first begin with the common application submitted to the American Medical College Applications Service (AMCAS).
The American Medical College Application Service
Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N Street, NW, Suite 201
Washington, DC 20037-1131
Phone: (202) 828-0600
Monday - Friday, 9am-7pm (ET), Closed Thursdays 11am-1pm
- Applications are received by AMCAS from late July until October 15.
- Keep in mind once you submit your application to AMCAS, six to eight weeks may pass before it is verified. Verified applications are uploaded to the Duke University School of Medicine admissions office database.
- After receiving the verified application materials from AMCAS, the admissions office will contact you via email and invite you to complete our on-line supplemental application.
- The deadline for all completed supplementary applications is November 15 at 11:59 pm EST.
- Your application materials will be evaluated holistically by two or more screened to determine if a virtual interview will be offered.
- If your application is considered for a virtual interview you will receive an email with further details.
- Each applicant must submit a minimum of four (4) letters of recommendation; two of which must be from science faculty.
- Science faculty may be from experiences in either a lab or in a class. A letter from a clinician addressing your ability to work with others would also be helpful.
- If your school submits a committee letter, it applies the four letter rule. In other words, if you have a committee letter, you won't need to submit four letters of recommendation.
- The goal of the letters of recommendation are to have people, who know you write about your strengths and abilities.