The mission of the educational program for MD students at Duke University is to prepare a diverse student body to pursue a spectrum of medical career options in order to become physician leaders who can advance biomedical research and improve local, national, and global health.
The general goals of the educational program are to ensure that students:
- acquire an understanding of core basic and clinical science knowledge;
- develop the clinical skills to care for diverse patient populations;
- explore how scientific investigation transforms medical knowledge and clinical care;
- demonstrate creativity, leadership, scholarship, and teamwork;
- direct and practice respectful patient-centered care;
- display professional, ethical and humanistic behaviors; and
- build the skills necessary to be a lifelong learner.
The Office of Curricular Affairs (OCA) provides professional, administrative, and technical expertise to the faculty, students, and staff of the School of Medicine in support of our state-of-the-art medical education.