To facilitate broader access to national professional development programs that promote faculty development across departments.
The Office for Faculty is piloting a program to provide partial support to offset the cost of attending select external professional development programs. Scholarships will be available for faculty attending pre-approved programs (AAMC women and minority faculty development programs, NCFDD Faculty Success Program, and Harvard’s Leadership Development for Physicians in Academic Health Centers). Other programs will be considered in special circumstances (see appendix A for review criteria). Interested participants should apply to or register for the program of interest first and contact the Office for Faculty for scholarship support once accepted.
Scholarship funds will be designed to supplement, not replace, departmental support for faculty development. An equal or larger contribution from the applicant’s department of unit will be required.
Amount of Funding:
The Office for Faculty will provide stipends of $1,000 to up to 10 individuals attending approved programs each year. In the event that more than 10 people are accepted to a program and apply for scholarship, support will be divided evenly amongst the applicants.
Evaluation of Applications:
Individuals applying for Office for Faculty support should meet the following criteria:
- Regular rank faculty member in a School of Medicine department, center, or institute.
- Acceptance to a pre-approved program or conference
- Matching support from the department/division or other organizational unit
- Agreement to complete post-program questionnaire providing feedback about the conference/development opportunity
- Have not have received scholarship funds from the Office for Faculty in the preceding 3 years
- The Office for Faculty will distribute information about scholarship-eligible programs to all faculty via e-mail.
- Potential participants should work with their department/unit to negotiate for unit-level support.
- Following acceptance to an approved program applicants should complete this application to request a scholarship
- After reviewing the request, applicants will be notified if they have received funding.
- Following program participation, the applicant will receive a brief survey from the Office for Faculty. This survey will help Office leadership understand the impact of these programs and is a required condition of the scholarship funding. Upon completing this survey a fund code will be provided to the participant. This code should be shared with the appropriate staff member or business manager to process up to $1,000 in program expenses. Allowable expenses are program registration fees, flight, or hotel charges for travel to the conference.