The School of Medicine Office for Faculty is pleased to announce the start of the 2021-2022 cycle of the School of Medicine Academic New Faculty Orientation (NFO) series. Starting a new faculty appointment is an exciting and challenging opportunity, and whether you joined Duke this month or last year, the School of Medicine Office for Faculty wants to make sure you have the tools and support to hit the ground running and to navigate your career here.
Academic New Faculty Orientation will address the following topics:
- Getting to know the institution and the organizational structure
- Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure (separate sessions for basic and clinical departments)
- The History of Duke Hospital and Durham
- Expectations and resources for faculty professionalism
- Supporting an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Resources to help you navigate your career
Upcoming seminar schedule
- Navigating the Research Mission (basic science focus) - September 23, 2021, 9am-noon
- Moderated by Colin Duckett, PhD, Vice Dean for Basic Science
- Navigating the Research Mission (clinical/data science focus) - September 21, 2021, 2:30-5pm
- Coordinated and Moderated by Rebecca Brouwer and Sunita Patil from the Office of Research Initiatives
- Welcome and Institutional Overview - October 18, 4-5pm
- Presented by Ann Brown, MD, MHS, Vice Dean for Faculty
- The History of Duke Hospital and Durham - November 5, 10-11:30am
- Presented by: Jeffrey P. Baker, MD, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics and History; Director, Trent Center for Bioethics, Humanities, and History of Medicine
- Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure in the Basic Sciences - December 2, 1-2pm
- Presented by: Cynthia Kuhn, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology
- Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure in the Clinical Sciences - December 6, 10am-noon
Presented by: James Tcheng, MD, Assistant Dean for Academic Appointments, Ann Brown, MD, MHS, Vice Dean for Faculty, and Clinical Sciences APT Leadership Panel
Supporting a Climate of Professionalism and Inclusion - date TBA early 2022
Faculty Development Resources - date TBA early 2022
Who Should Attend?
All SOM faculty are strongly encouraged to attend these sessions within their first three years on faculty. While content specifically targets faculty hired in the past several years, all are welcome and many of the topics addressed are applicable to faculty regardless of career stage.
Where will these sessions be held?
We know you’re busy. This monthly series is held virtually to make it easier for you to attend. Individual calendar invites with Zoom links will be sent post-registration.
How does this relate to other orientation activities?
These sessions complement existing PDC and departmental onboarding efforts. Faculty with clinical appointments should continue to work with their PDC Integration Coordinator on clinical onboarding activities. Faculty conducting research should also connect with the Duke Office of Research Initiatives to schedule a 1:1 researcher onboarding session.
Who should I contact with questions?
Contact Kyle Nunn in the School of Medicine Office for Faculty at email@example.com
How do I register?
Click here to register for seminar dates
What if I missed a session?
Many sessions are recorded and may be repeated at a future date.