1541 Professor (Tenure)
1545 Professor (secondary or joint)
1542 Associate Professor (Tenure)
1546 Associate Professor (secondary or joint)
1547 Assistant Professor
Non Tenure Track
1535 Research Professor
1536 Associate Research Professor
1537 Assistant Research Professor
1548 Medical Instructor
Process documents for the levels below should follow the required formatting found at this Provost link and required letter templates:
Formatting the Basic Science Dossier
Important Updates Regarding AP&T Submissions
- Appointments with Tenure
- Award of tenure to Associate Professor without tenure
- Promotion to Associate Professor with tenure for current Assistant Professors
- Promotion to Full Professor for tenured Associate Professors
- An original organized in a notebook with tabs and one CD in PDF format of the dossier using the order specified from the Provost link should be submitted to the APT office.
Deadlines for submission can be found here.
Regular Rank appointments within the Basic Science Departments are those having the modifying descriptor of Research in the title. These are considered to be term appointments without tenure; service in these ranks does not allow accrual of time toward tenure. These are one-year appointments, renewable annually, and expire on June 30 unless otherwise specified.
Process documents for these levels should follow the list below.
- Appointments to Associate Professor or Assistant Professor without Tenure
- Appointment and promotions in the Non Tenure Track at any rank
The original paper file and an email with scanned word files of the following should be submitted to the Faculty APT Office, 116 Davison Building, green zone, Box 3654
- Chair Recommendation Letter to the Dean
- Departmental APT Committee Report (Associate Professor or Professor)
- Intellectual Statement (Associate Professor or Professor)
- Letters of evaluations
- 3 for Medical Instructor & Assist. Prof.
- 6 for Associate Professor & Professor
- CV in Duke Format
- List of Publications
- Associate Professor – top 5
- Professor – top 10
- Degree Verification
- Signed Faculty Offer approved in DMR
- Completion of dFac and iForms
Basic Sciences Policy
Other procedures and criteria for Appointment, Promotion and Tenure in the Basic Sciences can be found in Appendix J of the faculty handbook.