Duke University School of Medicine is committed to fostering a community of successful physician-scientist scholars and mentors.
OPSD is delighted to serve as a central resource for Duke physician-scientists, students and trainees to leverage research and career support programs across the institution. All 16 clinical departments within the Duke School of Medicine have joined us in our mission. From education and professional development to career mentorship and funding opportunities, we are excited to be national leaders in physician-scientist development.
Consider all that Duke has to offer—and join our physician-scientist community!
What We Do
We recruit and prepare talented individuals, from medical students through junior faculty, to develop successful careers as physician-scientists.
• Basic Science Research Track for Master of Health Sciences Degree
• Research Careers Ahead Professional Development Series
• Basic Science Student Interest Group
• Student and Post-Baccalaureate Research Programs
We develop and implement robust physician-scientist training programs across the institution.
• Research in Residency training pathways, including 4 NIH R38 programs accessible to 50% of Duke clinical departments
• Integrated research training programs during medical school, residency, and fellowship
• Merit-based technician support awards to enable continuity of research during clinical training
We offer a range of funding opportunities to support medical students, trainees, and junior faculty conducting research.
• Burroughs Wellcome Fund Medical Student Scholarships for Research Years
• Poindexter Medical Student Scholarships for Research Years
• Burroughs Wellcome Fund Scholarships for the Master of Health Sciences Degree, Basic Science Research Track
• OPSD Technician Support Awards
• Physician-Scientist Junior Faculty Strong Start Awards
We build community among physician-scientists and trainees at all levels.
• Networking and social events
• Annual physician-scientist symposium