About Michelle P. Winn, MD
Michelle Winn, MD, associate professor of Nephrology in the Department of Medicine, (photo, left) passed away in July 2014. She came to Duke in 1992 as an intern and undertook residencies in psychiatry and medicine before focusing her career on nephrology and joining the faculty.
her colleagues and deeply committed to diversity and inclusion and to the careers of younger physicians and scientists who orbited around her.
How to Nominate Someone
Any member of the School of Medicine may submit a nomination for the award and we invite and encourage you to do so. The nominations review committee will use selection criteria to determine awardees from each of these categories: student, staff, faculty, trainee, and postdoc. Nomination letters should include specific examples of the individual’s exemplary achievements and contributions towards inclusive excellence by means of service, leadership, research or education.
To nominate someone for this award, please provide a letter clearly stating why this person should be honored. You may submit one or more nominations but separate nomination forms must be submitted for each individual. The nomination letter should contain the following information:
- Nominator Name
- Nominator Relationship to Duke University School of Medicine
- Nominator’s Mailing Address
- Nominator’s Email Address
The letter should also specifically address one or more of the following areas:
- Actions taken to enhance equity, diversity and inclusion and/or reducing bias, healthcare disparities and inequities.
- Mentors, uplifts and/or encourages peers, colleagues or learners from underrepresented groups.
- Effective leadership within Duke SoM (department/center/institute, etc.).
- Community engagement to help improve healthcare outcomes in underserved communities.
- Creates innovative approaches to foster inclusion, belonging and engagement.
Nominations must be received electronically by the Office of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at EDI@dm.duke.edu no later than February 19, 2024.