Fall 2021 Application Cycle Opens October 4th
The School of Medicine is pleased to announce a new funding opportunity for institutionally-designated service centers. To enable these facilities to remain cutting-edge and best serve their users, the School will offer funding for services centers to develop new service lines, optimize existing services, or perform other R&D activities for the benefit of their users. Facilities must partner with two or more Duke investigators who agree to serve as testers for development. Funding will be provided to cover the costs of staff effort, supplies and materials, minor equipment, and instrument use in support of these efforts. Where approved rates exist for the services proposed, tester user fees are an allowable expense for this support. The suggested maximum budget for this opportunity is $25,000.
Participation in this program is limited to those facilities with currently approved billing rates. Applications are limited to one per service center. Service Centers may partner for the development of shared workflows.
Voucher recipients will submit a final report one year after receipt of voucher funds, describing the results of the development proposed, listing all users of the new or optimized services, together with publications and proposals for external funding that are a product of the services developed, and outlining the value of the services to investigators.
To apply, please email a single pdf file to email@example.com, containing:
- Two-page description of the initiative, including current process, identification of need, and a list of users who will benefit. A brief explanation of how new services will be integrated into the core operations, and any budget impact of doing so, should be included.
- Letter of support from users who agree to serve as testers. One letter with multiple signatories is acceptable.
- Budget with brief justification for any non-standard expenses.
- Description of any other sources of support, such as vendor-provided kits or reagents.
Applications are due November 5th. Awarded funds are for one year and will be made available January 1st, 2022. Also please note that this will be the only Voucher Program offered this cycle as this opportunity will be in lieu of our traditional, PI-Initiated program.
Important dates for the 2021 Fall SOM Core Facility Voucher Program:
- Submission Open: October 4, 2021
Submission Close: November 5, 2021
Voucher Start: January 1, 2022
Voucher End: December 31, 2022
Email any questions you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org