Faculty interested in creating a shared resource are strongly encouraged to contact the Office of Research Resources to discuss their proposal. Those applying to create a shared resource must demonstrate departmental support, and provide a business plan and 3-year financial projection (Profit & Loss statement). The Resources section of this site contains templates of planning documents. All proposed shared resources must be approved within the Office of Research Resources prior to scientific review by the Vice Dean of Basic Science.
- What services will be offered, and how are they different from current shared resources available at Duke?
- Who are the potential users of the shared resource?
- How will shared resource services be differentiated from research collaborations?
- How will the shared resource become or remain scientifically relevant in its field?
- What is the data management plan for the shared resource?
- Does the applicant have the bandwidth to undertake this new initiative?
- Is the department supportive of this effort? Will the department contribute space and administrative support to the proposed shared resource?
- Are the proposed user fees within reach of what users can afford?
- What equipment or supply costs are needed, and how will they be funded?
- Who will backstop any potential deficit if projected demand is not met?