What versions of Adobe Reader properly print the PHS 398/2590 form pages?
Adobe Reader 7.0.9 or greater is required for printing. Adobe Reader is not available for Windows Operating Systems prior to Windows 2000 SP2. If you are using an unsupported version of Windows, the SPS application works, but printing will need to be done on a workstation with a supported version of Adobe Reader.
What printing problems occur with Adobe Reader versions 7.0.8 and earlier?
Adobe Reader versions 7.0.8 and earlier use different line spacing than the newer versions. This may result in partial lines of text printing in the rich text areas. Here are example Summary of Work [Downloads pdf] and Summary Budget [Downloads pdf] form pages printed using SPS 5.18 with Adobe Reader version 7.0.3.
What if I am currently using Adobe Reader version 7.0.8 or earlier?
Contact your local IT support person and ask for their assistance in upgrading your version of Adobe Reader.
Am I required to upgrade to Adobe Reader version 7.0.9 or greater?
It is highly recommended. If you run SPS with an unsupported version of Adobe Reader, you assume responsibility for the validity of the SPS-generated forms.
How do I upgrade my version of Adobe Reader?
- Open Adobe Reader.
- Select Help -> Check for Updates
- When prompted, select all available updates.
- Select 'Install Now'.
What's the difference between Reader and Acrobat?
Reader is the free software from Adobe that lets you view and print PDF documents. Acrobat is the software that Adobe sells to allow creation and editing of PDF's.
If I have both Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat installed on my machine, how do I know which one SPS is using to display forms and if it is a supported version?
- Open SPS and generate a form page(s).
- From the resulting Adobe window, select Help -> About Adobe Reader. . . or Help -> About Adobe Acrobat. . .
- The resulting informational window displays both the name and version of the tool that SPS is using to open PDF documents.
- Now that you know which tool SPS is using, make sure that its version is 7.0.9 or greater. If you do not have a supported version, you will need to contact your local IT support person and ask for their assistance in upgrading the desired tool.
- Click anywhere in the informational window to close it.
What else should I know about the installation of Adobe Reader?
- Important: If you have Acrobat installed, you may receive the following prompt during the installation:
Be sure to select Reader as the default application for viewing PDF's.
- The first time you open a document with Reader, you will probably see the License Agreement screen:
You can Accept and continue on to view the document.
- Before printing the first page, go to File -> Print and make sure you have:
- Page scaling disabled (i.e., set to 'None')
- Auto-Rotate and Center enabled (i.e., checked)
Your "Print" window should look like the "Print" window shown below:
If page scaling is enabled, you may end up with over sized margins and undersized text (violating NIH standards). If Auto-Rotate and Center is disabled, you will find forms meant to landscape may not look right.
Important: If you are using Reader 7.0.9 you will need to set the Page Scaling to 'None' each time you generate a form within SPS.