Duke manages Conflict of Interest (COI) in a manner consistent with NIH policies and sponsor requirements. Duke has the responsibility to identify and manage any conflicts of interest that may be created by a financial interest of an individual related to research conducted at Duke.
- An annual disclosure form is required from faculty and non-faculty who participate in research at Duke.
- In addition to the annual review and reporting, the office also performs an event-based review as grants are awarded to the institution (or preferably at “Just in Time” notification).
- Disclosure forms are analyzed by staff to determine if disclosed relationships are related to the disclosing individual’s research and/or administrative responsibilities.
- The Conflict of Interest Office manages COI in a manner compliant with federal policies, particularly those of PHS.
- Management plans are acknowledged by the individual, tracked over time, and monitored.
- We report managed overlap relating to PHS funding in accordance with PHS regulations.
- All management plans are reviewed with the COI Committee by consent agenda and/or full review.
- Individuals are responsible for maintaining a current, accurate disclosure form with the Conflict of Interest Office. Individuals must update their COI disclosure form within 30 calendar days of discovering, acquiring or establishing any new significant financial interests or changes in any existing significant financial interests that might reasonably be related to their Duke responsibilities.
- COI training must be completed prior to engaging in research related to any PHS-funded project and updated as required by the institution.
- Failure to fully and accurately disclose financial interests, to maintain a current accurate disclosure form or to follow federal or other sponsor or institutional requirements related to COI may result in disciplinary action.
To contact the Conflict of Interest Office by email: email@example.com
Adopted by the Duke University Board of Trustees, COI policy applies to individuals on faculty or staff at Duke University.