The Great Hall, located on the “0” level of the Trent Semans Center, is a flexible space allowing for theatre style seating for 380+ and banquet seating for 216. The space may also be dividied into three separate meeting spaces for smaller gatherings of approximately 45, 45 and 180 seats. In addition, the Great Hall may be opend to the adjacent atrium to allow for additional standing room participation or for catering. A vehicular drop off area is located on the west side of the building in support of special events and functions.
SOM Medical Education Administration is responsible for the scheduling of the Great Hall. Reservation requests are required to be submitted via https://25live.collegenet.com/duke.
- Daytime Use: M-F 7am – 5 pm
- After Hours Use: Evenings, Weekends
Priority Scheduling and Changes
Academic courses and curricular related activities for the School of Medicine have first priority for event scheduling. SOM Administration has priority over all non-academic event reservations. All reservations are subject to location change, particularly in instances where space for School-wide events or curricular related activities is required. While such occurrences are infrequent, the requester should be aware of this possibility.
Repeating events (weekly, monthly, and quarterly) will be scheduled only with the requesters understanding that some specific dates may be or become unavailable, as determined by the Vice Dean for Education or the Associate Dean for Medical Education Administration.
Should you need to cancel an event and AV support (if requested), please contact the Room Scheduling office via email or telephone. If cancellation notice is given at least 48 hours prior to your event’s start time, you will not be charged. However, Medical Education reserves the right to retain full payment, or a $100 minimum fee, for all services requested if notice of cancellation is less than 48 hours prior to scheduled event start time or if the space is not used during the reserved time.
All events require a Duke University School of Medicine full-time faculty sponsor responsible for ensuring that the Great Hall is returned and remains in a clean and orderly condition. Costs associated with clean-up or replacement of damaged fixtures or equipment will become the responsibility of the sponsoring department or program and will be charged to the fund code used to reserve the space.
For Setup and Breakdown assistance: please allow 2 hours before and after event
- Storr Office Environments: 919-313-3890 email: email@example.com
- The Great Hall is cleaned throughout the day by Environmental Services. If you require additional cleaning after your event, please arrange additional service in advance at 919-681-2727.
Please be aware that if your event requires AV / IT support during the actual time, you will be charged for service. *Please note that any video streaming and/or recording support service is provided by our Med Ed IT department only. This service will be charged the rates as outlined in the event contract.
Requests may be submitted as follows:
- Med Ed IT: Submit a ticket to https://duke.service-now.com, authenticate with your NetID and then click on the "Get IT" link. YOu may then select the “Create a New Request” link located to the right of the page and under the Featured Requests section. Also, Med Ed IT can be reached at 919-907-0025.
- Searle Center: John Krzywicki – firstname.lastname@example.org – (919) 684-5520
Cost: 1-2 hours, $100/hr., up to 4 hours - $250, more than 4 hours - $500
Should you need to cancel an event and AV / IT support (if requested), please contact the Room Scheduling office via email, email@example.com or phone, 919-684-9026. Should we receive a notice of cancellation at least 48 hours prior to your start time, payment will be canceled or returned. Should we receive a notice of cancellation less than 48 hours prior to your start time, Medical Education reserves the right to retain full payment for all services requested.
The Trent Semans Center does not have dedicated parking. Users of the facility may be dropped off at the west entrance of the building on Searle Center Drive, with handicap accessibility at this entrance. The following parking garages may be utilized for visitors attending events at TSCHE:
- Parking Garage I: Trent Drive across from Duke Clinic and Duke Medicine Pavilion
- Parking Garage II: Erwin Road access from Duke University Hospital
- Research Drive Garage: Research Drive and Erwin Road
Visitors are responsible for all parking expenses assessed at the prevailing rate. The Trent Semans Center does not reimburse for any parking expenses. Please be advised any vehicle parked outside the Trent Semans Center is parked illegally and will be subject to ticketing and/or towing at the expense of the owner. Additional information on parking services may be found online: http://parking.duke.edu/parking/visitor/index.php.
The following are the only caterers approved for full service catering and setup/breakdown, at their discretion, in the Great Hall. Other caterers can deliver to rooms throughout the building. The user of the room is ultimately responsible for cleanup.
Aramark/Searle Center • 919-684-2244 • www.aramarkcafe.com
Alan Smith Custom Catering • 919-403-9679 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Catering Company of Chapel Hill • 919-929-4775 • www.thecateringcompanych.com
Catering Works • 919-828-5932 • www.cateringworks.com
Core Catering • 919-698-0098 • www.corecatering.com
Hope Valley Diner and Catering Company • 919-403-7707 • www.hopevalleydiner.com
Nosh • 919-383-4747 • www.noshfood.com
Parizade • 919-286-9712 • www.parizadedurham.com
Soigné Events • 919-972-8297 • email@example.com
Sophisticated Catering • 919-382-0008 • www.sophisticatedcatering.com
Three Seasons Catering • 919-416-0600 • www.threeseasonscatering.com
- 350 • Self-Service, 8-5 weekdays • Includes brackets required in theater layouts
- 27 • Self-Service, 8-5 weekdays • 60” Rounds (seat up to 8 people)
- (6) 6’ schoolroom • (6) 6’ banquet • (6) 8’ banquet • (6) cocktail tables • Self-Service, 8-5 weekdays
- 3 • Self-Service, 8-5 weekdays • Prior instruction available from MedEdIT
- 6 • No self Service • Available from MedEdIT
Room Dividing Walls
- Great Hall A: 42’ x 56’ • Great Hall B: 25’ x 28’ • Great Hall C: 25’ x 27’
“Garage Doors” to Atrium
Theater East, sits 300-400 people
Single center aisle, tight fit of seats;Stage will reduce seating capacity;Use of AV screen will reduce seating capacity
Sits 250, 3 aisles, gracious fit of seats, Stage set to 12’ x 24’
Table seating for 128, perimeter seating for 125