AMGEN SCHOLARS PROGRAM AT DUKE - SUMMER 2019
May 19 - July 27, 2019
The Amgen Scholars Program at Duke welcomes applications from undergraduates who demonstrate academic excellence, enthusiasm, ambition, and a commitment to pursuing biomedical graduate training (PhD or PhD/MD) and health-related research careers.
The deadline for receipt of COMPLETE application materials is 5:00 pm EST, February 1, 2019. INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. (Application Closed)
Step 1: Review Faculty Mentor Profiles
- Please review Duke Amgen Scholars Program Faculty Mentor Profiles (or by Primary Department) and identify three faculty whose area of research interests you. You will enter your faculty mentor preferences on the online application.
Step 2: Solicit Letters of Recommendation
- Application to the Amgen Scholars Program at Duke requires two (2) Letters of Recommendation. Letter writers must be able to speak to your qualifications and potential for academic and research excellence.
- Send each recommender the "Amgen Scholars Program at Duke University – Recommender Instructions."
- Remind recommenders that letters must be received by the Amgen Scholars Program at Duke no later than 5:00 pm EST, February 1, 2019.
Step 3: Prepare Materials
- Online Application: The online application must be completed in one sitting. The five response questions in the online application are as follows -
- Describe any prior research experience or activities where you collaborated/worked as part of a research team. Be explicit - provide the faculty mentor's name, department, dates, summary of project, and list of techniques used. (500 word maximum)
- What are your academic and career goals and how do you plan to reach them? How will this program help you reach your goals? (250 word maximum)
- List extracurricular and community activities you have been involved since you've been an undergraduate.
- List honors, awards, and other recognition you have received during high school and since you've been an undergraduate.
- Are there additional factors in your background or life experiences that would help you benefit from this program? Discuss social, economic, educational, or other obstacles, if appropriate. This question is optional. (250 word maximum)
- Current Transcript: Email your unofficial undergraduate transcript to email@example.com. Do not submit secondary-school records.
- Transcript Requirements
- Transcripts must provide a year-by-year listing of all courses taken and the grade or mark received for each.
- The transcript must list your name and the name of the school.
Before emailing an electronic transcript issued by your school, make sure it can be opened without passwords or other security information.
We do not accept web page screenshots from a student information system in place of transcripts.
- Acceptable Transcript Formats
- Scanned copies of paper transcripts produced by the institution
- Electronic transcripts produced by the institution
- Please note that upon acceptance of an offer to join Amgen Scholars Program at Duke, students will be required to provide an official transcript.
- Transcript Requirements
Step 4: Submit Materials