My clinical interests are focused on diagnosis of hematological malignancies (leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin disease, multiple myeloma, etc). I devote majority of my effort to provide diagnostic interpretation based on morphological examination of blood, bone marrow, lymph node, other lymphoid organs like spleen, as well as any other organ and tissue suspected to harbor lymphoma or leukemia. The morphological findings are integrated with results of ancillary studies including flow cytometry, cytogenetics and molecular diagnostics, as well as key clinical, radiographic, and laboratory findings.
As medical director of the Clinical Flow Cytometry laboratory, I oversee the operations of the lab to ensure accuracy and timely delivery of these high complexity diagnostic tests. Development and validation of flow cytometric tests to provide prognostic information and evaluation of therapeutic targets to guide treatment is also an important aspect of my work.
My translational research interests include-
1. Correlation of flow cytometric, cytogenetic and molecular findings in acute myeloid leukemias with myelodysplasia associated changes and in acute leukemias with monocytic differentiation.
2. Morphological changes following non-conventional treatments for myeloid, lymphoid, and plasma cell neoplasms.
3. The spectrum of lymphoid tissue involvement by plasmacytic / plasmacytoid cells.
Education and Training
- B.J. Medical College, Gujarat University (India), M.B.B.S. 1977
- B.J. Medical College, Gujarat University (India), M.D. 1980
- University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Ph.D. 1989
- Baylor University, Immunology
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Research Fellow, Clinical Immunology/Rheumatology
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Research Assistant Professor, Clinical Immunology/Rheumatology
- University of Mississippi, Assistant Professor (Research), Rheumatology/Molecular Immunology
- University of Mississippi, Resident, Anatomic And Clinical Pathology
- University of Wisconsin at Madison, Fellow, Hematolopathology
- University of Mississippi, Associate Professor