2019 DMAA Awardees
Mark Humayun, MD’89, HS’90-’93
Cornelius J. Pings Chair in Biomedical Sciences, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California;
Professor of Ophthalmology, Biomedical Engineering, and Integrative Anatomical Sciences
Director, Institute for Biomedical Therapeutics; co-director, University of Southern California Roski Eye Institute
About Dr. Humayun >
Caroline Philpott, AB’83, MD’87
Chief, Genetics and Metabolism Section, Liver Diseases Branch, National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases at the National Institutes of Health
About Dr. Philpott >
William Stead, AB’70, MD’74, HS’73-’77
Chief Strategy Officer, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
McKesson Foundation Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Professor of Medicine
About Dr. Stead >
Donald McDonnell, PhD
Chair and Professor of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University School of Medicine
Glaxo-Wellcome Professor of Molecular Cancer Biology
Core Faculty in Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative
Member of Duke Cancer Institute
About Dr. McDonnell >
Michael Freemark, MD’76
Robert C. Atkins, MD, and Veronica Atkins Professor of Pediatrics, Duke University School of Medicine
Chief, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology
Member of Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center and the Duke Molecular Physiology Institute
About Dr. Freemark >
About the DMAA Awards
Established in 1968, the Medical Alumni Association Distinguished Awards were created to recognize those who make important contributions to the establishment and growth of the four-year medical school and to the world of medicine. The awards are designed to honor alumni and friends whose distinguished careers and unselfish contributions to society have added luster and prestige to the University and its School of Medicine. A committee appointed by the Dean of the School of Medicine selects the recipients from nominations solicited from alumni and medical school faculty.
William G. Anlyan, MD Lifetime Achievement
This award recognizes achievements of an exceptional nature in any field, vocational or voluntary, covering an entire career. The award recognizes School of Medicine and/or house staff alumni, or School of Medicine faculty for extraordinary leadership and accomplishment in the field of medicine at the national level. It is the highest honor the Alumni Association bestows. To be awarded on occasion to School of Medicine and/or house staff alumni, or School of Medicine faculty. Nominations accepted from alumni and faculty.
- 1995 - Dr. William G. Anlyan
- 1996 - Dr. Daniel C. Tosteson
- 1998 - Dr. Irwin Fridovich
- 1999 - Dr. Merel H. Harmel
- 2000 - Dr. Madison S. Spach
- 2001 - Mrs. Mary D.B.T. Semans
- 2003 - Dr. Eugene A. Stead, Jr.
- 2004 - Dr. Albert Heyman
- 2005 - Dr. David C. Sabiston, Jr.
- 2006 - Dr. Rebecca H. Buckley
- 2007 Dr. R. Rodney Howell
- 2008 - Dr. Samuel L. Katz
- 2009 - Dr. James B. Wyngaarden
- 2011 - Dr. Ralph Snyderman
- 2012 - Dr. James R. Urbaniak
- 2013 - Dr. Wolfgang K. Joklik
- 2014 - Dr. Joseph Fraumeni, Jr.
- 2015 - Dr. C. Thomas Caskey
This award honors alumni who have made significant contributions to medical education, research and practice through professional achievements and/or dedicated service. Criteria for selection include contributions to the medical profession demonstrated through quality of publications, significant discoveries, or practice improvements that have been widely adopted, community and national leadership in the profession, and by careers that have garnered national and international recognition in ways that bring honor to the medical profession and Duke University School of Medicine. One to three to be awarded annually to School of Medicine and/or house staff alumni. Nominations accepted from alumni and faculty.
- 1969 - Dr. Raymond D. Adams
- 1969 - Dr. George T. Harrell, Jr.
- 1969 - Dr. Paul W. Sanger
- 1969 - Dr. Martin Marc Cummings
- 1969 - Dr. William Henry Muller, Jr.
- 1970 - Dr. John Robert Kernodle
- 1970 - Dr. William B. Schwartz
- 1970 - Dr. J. Benjamin Warren
- 1970 - Dr. Doris Ahlee Howell
- 1970 - Dr. Hans Neurath
- 1970 - Dr. Ladd W. Hamrick, Jr.
- 1971 - Dr. Ivan L. Bennett
- 1971 - Dr. Joseph S. Hiatt, Jr.
- 1971 - Dr. Lyndon Edmund Lee, Jr.
- 1971 - Dr. Robert A. Ross
- 1971 - Dr. Charles Woodrow Styron
- 1971 - Dr. James Lyman Tullis
- 1972 - Dr. Cyrus C. Erickson
- 1972 - Dr. Watkins Proctor Harvey
- 1972 - Dr. Henry Deane McIntosh
- 1972 - Dr. Marc J. Musser
- 1972 - Dr. John V. Verner
- 1972 - Dr. Charles C. Richardson
- 1973 - Dr. Ivan W. Brown, Jr.
- 1973 - Dr. C. Donald Christian
- 1973 - Dr. Angus M. McBryde, Sr.
- 1973 - Dr. Ben N. Miller, Jr.
- 1973 - Dr. Margaret P. Sullivan
- 1973 - Dr. Salih J. Wakil
- 1974 - Dr. Lewis W. Wannamaker
- 1974 - Dr. Kenneth Durham Weeks, Sr.
- 1974 - Dr. Beverly Carver Morgan
- 1974 - Dr. Stuart Osborne Bondurant, Jr
- 1974 - Dr. W. Delano Meriwether
- 1975 - Dr. Rubin Bressler
- 1975 - Dr. Jack D. Myers
- 1975 - Dr. Arthur H. London, Jr.
- 1975 - Dr. Nathan Kaufman
- 1976 - Dr. James Mayhew Ingram
- 1976 - Dr. John P. McGovern
- 1976 - Dr. David M. Kipnis
- 1977 - Dr. Leighton E. Cluff
- 1977 - Dr. H. Leroy Izlar, Jr.
- 1977 - Dr. Robert E. Windom
- 1978 - Dr. A. Jack Tannenbaum
- 1978 - Dr. Robert Harry Purcell
- 1979 - Dr. Emile M. Scarpelli
- 1979 - Dr. Dean T. Mason
- 1979 - Dr. Thomas B. Ferguson
- 1980 - Dr. John Pope Collins
- 1980 - Dr. Vince Moseley
- 1980 - Dr. J. Benjamin Warren
- 1981 - Dr. David Cayer
- 1981 - Dr. J. Graham Smith, Jr.
- 1981 - Dr. Paul Ebert
- 1983 - Dr. George Margolis
- 1983 - Dr. George D. Wilbanks
- 1984 - Dr. George William Brumley, Jr.
- 1984 - Dr. James F. Glenn
- 1985 - Dr. Carl Eisdorfer
- 1985 - Dr. David W. Martin, Jr.
- 1986 - Dr. Charles E. Rackley
- 1986 - Dr. Samuel A. Wells, Jr.
- 1987 - Dr. Ashton B. Morrison
- 1987 - Dr. Danny B. Jones
- 1988 - Dr. R. Sidney Jones, Jr.
- 1988 - Dr. William A. Gay, Jr.
- 1989 - Dr. Lenox Dial Baker
- 1989 - Dr. Roger J. Porter
- 1990 - Dr. Roscoe Ross Robinson
- 1990 - Dr. Bert W. O'Malley
- 1991 - Dr. M. Carlyle Crenshaw, Jr.
- 1991 - Dr. A. Everette James, Jr.
- 1991 - Dr. C. Thomas Caskey
- 1991 - Dr. Joe Leigh Simpson
- 1992 - Dr. Joseph Francis Fraumeni, Jr.
- 1992 - Dr. Peter Ogden Kohler
- 1992 - Dr. Stephen B. Baylin
- 1993 - Dr. Jay Morris Arena
- 1993 - Dr. Bernard F. Fetter
- 1993 - Dr. Don E. Detmer
- 1994 - Dr. Jordan Udell Gutterman
- 1994 - Dr. Richard D. Klausner
- 1995 - Dr. Nicholas G. Georgiade
- 1995 - Dr. F. Maxton Mauney
- 1995 - Dr. Joseph Bennett Warshaw
- 1996 - Dr. Will C. Sealy
- 1996 - Dr. Mark L. Entman
- 1996 - Dr. Stephen S. Entman
- 1997 - Dr. Doyle G. Graham
- 1997 - Dr. George Wesley Paulson
- 1997 - Dr. Lewis T. Williams
- 1997 - Dr. Robert L. Pinck
- 1998 - Dr. J. William Littler
- 1998 - Dr. Edward W. Holmes
- 1998 - Dr. William New, Jr.
- 1999 - Dr. James Rapheal Gavin III
- 1999 - Dr. L. Thompson Bowles
- 1999 - Dr. Peter T. Scardino
- 2000 - Dr. Donald Craig Brater
- 2000 - Dr. Eng Meng Tan
- 2000 - Dr. R. Sanders Williams
- 2001 - Dr. Henry James Carr, Jr.
- 2001 - Dr. Thaddeus B. Wester
- 2001 - Dr. William H. Spencer III
- 2002 - Dr. John Tyler Dees
- 2002 - Dr. Earl Nelson Metz
- 2002 - Dr. Judith Lea Swain Alumna
- 2003 - Dr. Fred A. Crawford, Jr.
- 2003 - Dr. Richard A. Schatz
- 2003 - Dr. Yank D. Coble, Jr.
- 2004 - Dr. Gerald R. Cooper
- 2004 - Dr. Alfred Paul Sanfilippo
- 2004 - Dr. Thomas Byron Thames
- 2005 - Dr. Andrew G. Wallace
- 2005 - Dr. Frederick L. Grover
- 2005 - Dr. M. Paul Capp
- 2006 - Dr. Andrew Morris Lewis, Jr.
- 2006 - Dr. Eugenie Kleinerman Zwelling
- 2006 - Dr. John Bush Simpson
- 2007 - Dr. Douglas P. Zipes
- 2007 - Dr. Michael Alan Brownlee
- 2007 - Dr. William G. Kaelin, Jr.
- 2008 - Dr. David Rolland Piwnica-Worms
- 2008 - Dr. Lawrence J. D'Angelo
- 2008 - Dr. Tracey A. Rouault
- 2009 - Dr. Pamela B. Davis
- 2009 - Dr. W. Marston Linehan
- 2010 - Dr. Thomas P. Graham
- 2010 - Dr. Walter L. Miller
- 2010 - Dr. Michael D. Schneider
- 2011 - Dr. Harvey J. Cohen
- 2011 - Dr. M. Elaine Eyster
- 2011 - Dr. James H. Shore, Jr.
- 2012 - Dr. Robert L. Goldenberg
- 2013 - Dr. Eddie L. Hoover
- 2013 - Dr. Angus M. McBryde, Jr.
- 2014 - Dr. Etta Driscoll Pisano
- 2014 - Dr. Paul G. Shekelle
- 2015 - Dr. Mary E. Klotman
- 2015 - Dr. Janice M. Massey
- 2016 - Dr. Robert J. Margolis
- 2017 - Dr. David Ginsburg
- 2017 - Dr. Diane Havlir
- 2017 - Dr. Allan D. Kirk
- 2018 - Dr. John (Jeb) Hallett
- 2018 - Dr. James W. Mold
This award honors those faculty members who have brought distinction to themselves, credit to the school and university, and benefit to their communities through their vocation. Awards recognize excellence in teaching medical students in the basic sciences or clinical medicine and/or longstanding achievements, contributions, and leadership in research or academic programs of Duke University School of Medicine. One to three to be awarded annually to current School of Medicine faculty. Nominations accepted from alumni, faculty and students.
- 1974 - Dr. Talmage L. Peele
- 1974 - Dr. Eugene A. Stead, Jr.
- 1975 - Dr. Thomas De Arman Kinney
- 1975 - Dr. Elijah E. Menefee, Jr.
- 1975 - Dr. Edward S. Orgain
- 1976 - Dr. George Jay Baylin
- 1976 - Dr. David T. Smith
- 1977 - Dr. John W. Everett
- 1977 - Dr. Guy L. Odom, Jr.
- 1978 - Dr. Jasper Lamar Callaway
- 1978 - Dr. Clarence E. Gardner, Jr.
- 1979 - Mrs. Dorothy Beard
- 1979 - Dr. Joseph W. Beard
- 1979 - Dr. John E. Dees
- 1979 - Dr. Susan Coons Dees
- 1980 - Dr. Kenneth L. Pickrell
- 1980 - Dr. R. Wayne Rundles
- 1981 - Dr. Hans Lowenbach
- 1981 - Dr. David C. Sabiston, Jr.
- 1981 - Dr. E. Harvey Estes
- 1982 - Dr. Jay Morris Arena
- 1982 - Dr. Will C. Sealy
- 1983 - Dr. Bernard F. Fetter
- 1983 - Dr. William P. J. Peete
- 1984 - Dr. Jerome S. Harris
- 1984 - Dr. Roy T. Parker
- 1985 - Dr. Andrew G. Wallace
- 1985 - Dr. F. Stephen Vogel
- 1986 - Dr. J. Leonard Goldner
- 1986 - Dr. Catherine Wilfert-Katz
- 1987 - Dr. Robert E. Whalen
- 1987 - Dr. Samuel L. Katz
- 1988 - Dr. Arthur Chris Christakos
- 1988 - Dr. Suydam Osterhout
- 1989 - Dr. William D. Bradford
- 1989 - Dr. Donald B. Hackel
- 1990 - Dr. James T. Chen
- 1990 - Dr. Walter L. Floyd
- 1991 - Dr. Ralph Randal Bollinger
- 1991 - Dr. Albert Heyman
- 1991 - Dr. Wendell F. Rosse
- 1992 - Dr. E. Wayne Massey
- 1992 - Dr. Harvey Jay Cohen
- 1993 - Dr. Charles B. Hammond
- 1993 - Dr. Robert A. Waugh
- 1994 - Dr. Frank H. Bassett III
- 1994 - Dr. Francis A. Neelon
- 1995 - Dr. Joseph C. Greenfield, Jr.
- 1995 - Dr. Robert P. Drucker
- 1996 - Dr. Charles E. Putnam
- 1996 - Dr. Nancy B. Allen
- 1997 - Dr. Gary Lester Stiles
- 1997 - Dr. Matthew Cartmill
- 1998 - Dr. James B. Wyngaarden
- 1998 - Dr. Rebecca H. Buckley
- 1999 - Dr. Carl E. Ravin
- 1999 - Dr. Caroline P. Haynes
- 2000 - Dr.John Alexander Bartlett
- 2000 - Dr. Nell B. Cant
- 2001 - Dr. Brenda E. Armstrong
- 2001 - Dr. John L. Weinerth
- 2001 - Dr. John M. Harrelson
- 2002 - Dr. Debra A. Schwinn
- 2002 - Dr. James R. Urbaniak
- 2003 - Dr. Barton F. Haynes
- 2003 - Dr. Kathryn P. King
- 2004 - Dr. Ralph Corey
- 2004 - Dr. Robert J. Lefkowitz
- 2004 - Dr. Salvatore V. Pizzo
- 2005 - Dr. Dan G. Blazer II
- 2005 - Dr. W. K. Joklik
- 2006 - Dr. Paul G. Killenberg
- 2006 - Dr. Robert McKinnon Califf
- 2007 - Dr. Leonard R. Prosnitz
- 2007 - Dr. William E. Yarger
- 2008 - Dr. Augustus O. Grant
- 2008 - Dr. Marilyn J. Telen
- 2008 - Dr. Paul L. Modrich
- 2009 - Dr. John M. Falletta
- 2009 - Dr. Joseph Odell Moore
- 2010 - Dr. Gordon Klintworth
- 2010 - Dr. John R. Perfect
- 2011 - Dr. Joanne A.P. Wilson
- 2012 - Dr. Edward G. Buckley
- 2012 - Dr. David L. Epstein
- 2012 - Dr. Mark F. Newman
- 2013 - Dr. Thomas R. Kinney
- 2013 - Dr. Sally A. Kornbluth
- 2014 - Dr. Thomas M. Coffman
- 2014 - Dr. Henry S. Friedman
- 2015 - Dr. Thomas M. Bashore
- 2015 - Dr. Y. T. Chen
- 2016 - Dr. Christopher B. Newgard
- 2016 - Dr. Howard A. Rockman
- 2017 - Dr. Anna Mae Diehl
- 2017 - Dr. Michael H. Merson
- 2018 - Dr. Patrick Casey
- 2018 - Dr. C. Frank Starmer
This award recognizes lifelong service to society or to humankind and honors those who have provided extraordinary service to their community, demonstrating leadership through global or local service. The award honors alumni and faculty who have fulfilled the obligations of their education through creative citizenship and exemplary service leadership in ways that benefit society and bring credit to the institution. To be awarded on occasion to School of Medicine and/or house staff alumni, or School of Medicine faculty. Nominations accepted from alumni and faculty.
- 1996 - Dr. Eugene Rossitch, Jr.
- 1996 - Dr. R. Cathcart Smith
- 1997 - Dr. William W. Shingleton
- 2000 - Dr. Charles Johnson
- 2001 - Dr. Joseph B. McCormick
- 2001 - Dr. Lewis G. Zirkle, Jr.
- 2002 - Dr. A. Everette James, Jr.
- 2003 - Dr. Donald T. Lucey
- 2004 - Dr. Charles Edwin Horton
- 2005 - Dr. James P. Gills, Jr.
- 2006 - Dr. Raymond F. Ford
- 2009 - Dr. Catherine Wilfert-Katz
- 2009 - Dr. Robert M. Sinskey
- 2010 - Dr. Joseph A. Moylan
- 2011 - Dr. Henry F. Safrit
- 2014 - Dr. Thomas G. Catena
- 2015 - Dr. Paul W. Jones
- 2016 - Dr. Juan Batlle
- 2018 - Dr. Michael M. Haglund
This award honors School of Medicine and/or house staff alumni who are early in their career for achievement through leadership, education, scholarship, or service in his or her professional or volunteer life. Nominations accepted from alumni and faculty.
- 2016 - Dr. Kafui "Kaf" Dzirasa
- 2016 - Dr. Audrey Odom John
- 2017 - Dr. Karen M. Winkfield
This award recognizes outstanding volunteer work and/or fundraising efforts on behalf of the School of Medicine and/or University, as well as efforts made to ensure the welfare of the institution. The award is given to those living alumni, faculty, and friends of the School of Medicine who consistently demonstrate selfless service to the university and school. To be awarded on occasion for outstanding volunteer service and/or fundraising efforts on behalf of Duke University Medical Center. Nominations accepted from alumni and faculty.
- 1972 - Ms. Grizzelle Norfleet
- 1977 - Ms. Jeane Embrey Frazer
- 1981 - Dr. G. B. Hodge
- 1981 - Mr. L. R. Preyer
- 1982 - Dr. William M. Eagles
- 1982 - Rufus R. Hambright
- 1987 - James H. Semans
- 1992 - Dr. Rebecca Trent Kirkland
- 1996 - Dr. Robert M. Rosemond
- 1997 - Mr. Perry R. Como
- 1998 - Mr. John M. Hamrick
- 1999 - Dr. Anthony J. Limberakis
- 2000 - Glenn A. Kiser Estate
- 2007 - Mr. Milton Lachman
- 2007 - Ms. Roslyn Schwartz Lachman
- 2011 - Dr. Edward G. Bowen
- 2013 - Medical Faculty Wives
- 2015 - Dr. Dale Shaw
- Dr. Ralph Parr Baker
- Ms. Betty Dumaine
This award recognizes outstanding individuals, who while not graduates of the School of Medicine, have made significant contributions to its educational mission. Honorees demonstrate support of medical education and residency/fellowship training; the desire to leave their own legacy at Duke University and the School of Medicine; and serve as models of physician responsibility to patients, students, colleagues and community members. Nominations accepted from alumni and faculty.
- 1968 - Dr. James T. Cleland
- 1971 - Mr. Henry E. Rauch
- 1972 - Mr. J. Alexander McMahon
- 1973 -Mrs. Mary D.B.T. Semans
- 1974 - The Hon. Terry Sanford
- 1977 - Mr. Perry R. Como
- 1977 - Dr. John O. Blackburn
- 1983 - Mr. A. Kenneth Pye
- 1986 - Mr. Roger L. Marshall
- 1994 - Dr. David C. Sabiston, Jr.
- 1998 - Mrs. Rachel Weinbaum Schanberg
- 2002 - Mr. Michael W. Krzyzewski
- 2003 - Mr. George L. Stebbings
- 2003 - Mr. Philip Jackson Baugh, Jr.
- 2010 Ms. Pamela Gregg and Mr. Jeffrey M. Foxworthy
- 2014 - Dr. James R. Clapp
- 2015 - Dr. William J. Fulkerson
- Mr. Edward H. Benenson
- Dr. William Bevan
- Prof. R. Taylor Cole
- Dr. Frank T. DeVyver
- Dr. Marcus E. Hobbs
- Dr. Douglas M. Knight
- Mr. I. Thomas Reamer
- Mr. Raymond C. Waters